Sunday, March 1, 2009

Movie Review: P.S. I Love You

Photobucket Summary: Cecelia Ahern's debut novel, PS, I Love You, follows the engaging, witty, and occasionally sappy reawakening of Holly, a young Irish widow who must put her life back together after she loses her husband Gerry to a brain tumor. Ahern, the twentysomething daughter of Ireland's prime minister, has discovered a clever and original twist to the Moving On After Death concept made famous by novelists and screenwriters alike--Gerry has left Holly a series of letters designed to help her face the year ahead and carry on with her life. As the novel takes readers through the seasons (and through Gerry's monthly directives), we watch as Holly finds a new job, takes a holiday to Spain with her girlfriends, and sorts through her beloved husband's belongings. Accompanying Holly throughout the healing process is a cast of friends and family members who add as much to the novel's success as Holly's own tale of survival. In fact, it is these supporting character's mini-dramas that make PS, I Love You more than just another superficial tearjerker with the obligatory episode at a karaoke bar. Ahern shows real talent for capturing the essence of an interaction between friends and foes alike; even if Holly's circle of friends does resemble the gang from Bridget Jones a bit too neatly to ignore (her best friend is even called Sharon). ~amazon.com

Movie Review: I haven't read the book PS, I LOVE YOU MOVIE TIE-IN EDITION but I've had the movie on DVR for quite a while and I finally got around to watching it. I liked it but I didn't love it. Let's just say I'm glad I recorded it and didn't see it in the theatre but I don't feel like it was a waste of 2 hours.

We meet Holly and Gerry as they are having a horrible fight about how he told her mom that she wasn't ready to have kids. We'll we know that's a bad move and they fight and make up. Flash forward and Gerry's dead. Not a shock we know that's the premise. Obviously Holly is devastated as any wife would be if her husband passed to early in life. But the story is more about Gerry's goal after his life it over to get Holly to live hers and live it without him. He leaves her these letters that give her specific instructions on what to do. See Gerry is one of those fictional male characters who thinks and plans ahead and that us women swoon over.

I have to say the person who redeemed this movie for me was Harry Connick Jr. Not only am I a fan of his music but he had me in the acting arena years ago when he was in Hope Floats. He was hilarious as Daniel, the guy vying for Holly's attention. He had me cracking up during the movie when the movie needed a good joke or a funny moment. Another one who is just great in this movie is Lisa Kudrow. Let me tell you that woman has great comedic timing. She's perfect in her role as one of Holly's best friends.

Now I generally think Hilary Swank is a great actress but I just don't think that Romantic Comedies are her thing. Put her in a serious drama and she rocks it but this I just didn't "feel" her as Holly. I get that Holly was supposed to be a stick in the mud but I didn't empathize with her and I feel that I should have. Now a girlfriend and I think Jennifer Garner would have been perfect in this movie as Holly bringing her a bit of warmth that I feel was lacking. That being said I didn't find it completely hard to believe that her and Gerard Butler were madly in love. They had decent chemistry together and it was fun to see their relationship in flashbacks.

Overall, if you want a good cry this if your movie but you won't be blown away.

Movie Review: 3.5/5

P.S. - They go to Ireland in the movie not Spain.

2 comments:

Marg said...

I literally just finished watching this movie. The first time I watched it I was a bit disappointed with it, but on a rewatch it was better. I hate the very last part of the film with the mother, and don't get Hilary Swank either, but its watchable!

Jenn said...

I rented this one and was just so-so on it. If it weren't for Harry Connick Jr., I don't think I'd bother with it.