Friday, August 9, 2013

Julie's Review: Catching Fire

Summary: Suzanne Collins continues the amazing story of Katniss Everdeen in the phenomenal Hunger Games trilogy. Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge. ~powells.com

Review: When I read The Hunger Games earlier this year, I wasn't so impressed but I loved the movie. I wasn't sure what to expect with Catching Fire. Needless to say, I loved it. I loved the plot, the pacing and the character development.

Katniss seems more like a teenage girl in this novel. She's confused, weary and torn between being loyal and being a leader. She had no idea how pretending to be in love with Peeta and saving both of their lives would be seen as an act of rebellion by the Capitol. It also gave the Districts  the fire they need to form rebellions.

I loved how Cinna had a bigger role in this novel. How he centered Katniss. He was her rock in a lot of ways; her father figure.Katniss and Peeta's relationship gets even more complicated as they try to figure out how to survive the Quell. Katniss is unsure of her feelings for both Peeta and Gale. She obviously cares deeply for both but I'm not sure she's in love with either of them.

I thoroughly enjoyed how they teamed up with other victors during the Quell even if it doesn't quite end up like they expected. It was nice to see Katniss learn to work in a team instead of always relying on herself. I even grew to like Peeta more. He wasn't such a wimp in this book, in fact, I can see the shaping of a leader in him.

I know I'm late to the Hunger Games party but it's always good to be fashionable. I am definitely looking forward to the movie in the fall.

Final Take: 4.75/5

Alice's Review

Share/BookmarkGoogle+

1 comment:

Teresa said...

I too liked this one more than The Hunger Games. I really am late to the game, I still haven't seen the movie. I hope to squeeze Mockingjay in sometime before the end of the year. It will be interesting to see where it goes.