Thursday, December 24, 2009

Book to Movie: Confessions of a Shopaholic

Summary: Fall in love with the adorable Becky Bloomwood (Isla Fisher) in the hilarious romantic comedy Confessions Of A Shopaholic. Becky s desperate for a job writing for a high-fashion magazine in glamorous New York. She gets her stilettos in the door writing a personal finance column at a sister publication. Much to her surprise, her column, The Girl In The Green Scarf, becomes a hit, and she falls head over high heels for her handsome, overworked boss (Hugh Dancy). But Becky has a secret that leads to some hilarious high jinks that could unravel it all. From the best-selling novel, and featuring the perfect comedic cast, it s the feel-good romantic comedy you'll fall in love with over and over. ~amazon.com

Review: Ok so I was a huge fan of the Shopaholic Gift Set (Shopaholic Ties the Knot / Shopaholic Takes Manhattan / Confessions of a Shopaholic) until Shopaholic & Baby. Needless to say I wanted to hate this movie because they had changed so much about it. London = New York and other nuances. But I loved it! Sure, it didn't stick to the book but what book to movie does?? Isla Fisher was perfect as Becky Bloomwood and while Hugh Dancy is not Christian Bale, he is quite dreamy as Luke Brandon.

The one thing that really bugged me about it was that I don't remember Becky being a fashionista. I just remember her having a shopping problem, not necessarily because of Prada. That being said the character of Becky was as I remember her. Not really a complete space case but just unable to handle her finances. She's hilarious and really quite smart if she'd only take her own advice. Krysten Ritter is great as her best friend Suz. And parents are played quite well by John Goodman and Joan Cusack. Now that's some great casting!

The movie had me laughing out loud in several different parts (see the dancing scene) and had me feeling for Becky when she realized just really how bad it had gotten for her. I'm actually hoping for a sequel and that's coming from someone who didn't want to see it.

Book to Movie Final Take: 4/5 (I'd give it higher but it wasn't similar enough to the book, although it captured the spirit.)

3 comments:

Heidi V said...

The dance scene was too funny! I had no idea about the book set thanks!

Happy Holidays...

Anna said...

I enjoyed the movie, too, but nothing can top the books. I read that Sophie Kinsella is working on another Shopaholic book. I'm so excited!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Julie said...

She's writing another one? I'm not sure I'll read it. Ok whom am I kidding, I'll read it even though I didn't like Shopaholic and Baby too much. I'd like her to grow up a bit. ;)