Monday, August 31, 2009

Julie's Review: Little Women

Summary: In picturesque nineteenth-century New England, tomboyish Jo, beautiful Meg, fragile Beth, and romantic Amy come of age while their father is off to war. ~amazon.com It's about family, love, dedication and following your heart.

NOTE: This was to be a group review but Jenn is in the middle of a torturous move and Lisa's job keeps her swamped, so you get me!

Julie's Review: Is it wrong to say that I love the movie but like the book? Is that heresy? It's not that the book wasn't wonderful, it was, but in really did drag in parts. Maybe it's a book to be read when you are a young adult or at least the ages of the girls in the book (12-16), I'm not sure. Jo is still my favorite character in the book and I still can't stand Amy. Actually, I think the book cemented the fact that I really can't stand her.

What I did appreciate most about the book was the descriptions of that era and the fact that the book is semi-autobiographical. I can't imagine sending my husband off to war and to essentially be destitute without his income. Which begs me to wonder why Hannah is still with them?

I still don't like that Jo ends up with her Professor and that Amy ends up with Laurie, but at least I knew that going in.

I will read this to my daughter when she is of the right age because I think it has its merits. Especially on helping others and being a good, kind person.

Julie's Final Take: 4.5/5

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Sorry I fell off the radar for this, but I really agree with your assesment. I prefer the movie to the book, but neither is on my all time favorites list.