Sunday, March 2, 2008

Book to Movie: The Other Boleyn Girl

I am sure that by now, we avid readers are well aware that the movie almost always decimates many elements in the book. Based on Julie's review, the summary included and the comments so far, I believe I can safely say that this statement holds true for this adaptation. There are some elements in the book that are most certainly missing from the book. I even overheard a fellow moviegoer remarking on how different the book was from the movie.

Anyway, since I can not fairly do a comparison review of the book versus the movie, this will be a review of the movie purely on its merits.

I never planned on reading this book, because I don't consider myself a fan of historical fiction. I sought this movie out simply based on the fact that I am a big Scarlett Johanssen fan and the previews made it look good.

I knew Julie was reading The Other Boleyn Girl and I remembered leaving the movie thinking that I couldn't wait to read her review because this was a pretty (excuse my language) damn good movie.

This movie is all about the relationship or rivalry (if you will) between the Boleyn sisters, who are vying for the King's affections to improve their family's status and wealth. Scarlett Johansson is brilliant as the sweet, good-natured Mary and Natalie Portman is delightful as the deliciously devious and desperate Anne. Let us not forget to mention Eric Bana, who is a very HOT (sorry-couldn't help it) King Henry, though his role is not as important here as I expected to to be. Since we all know how the story goes, it was rather interesting and quite plausible to see this take on what ultimately led to Anne's demise.

Filled with beautiful costumes and jewelry and of course beautiful people, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and it's certainly a great way to spend a couple of hours.

Final Take: 4.25/5

P.S. Thinking about the summary of the book, though, I have to believe that this adaptation may have been better served as a mini-series. I'm going to put this book on my to be read list, but I'm a little disappointed, that I've already ruined the ending for myself.

4 comments:

Julie said...

The book is definitely mini-series material and well there are definite similarities between the book and Showtime's The Tudors which has the delicious Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Henry VIII. I just started watching it and have to finish the series by Wednesday if I want to watch it for free.

Anonymous said...

I liked the movie THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL. It was a bit more accurate than that of the TUDORS flopo version. I say this because there were very little historical facts in the TV series. These people and (PRODUCERS) need to study history and get it right!

I would give the movie at least 3 stars.

Anonymous said...

So the book was all about Mary hence "the other Boleyn girl" But the movie is all about Anne. Of course the book ruined the movie. If I would of never read the book the movie would of been great.

Amy said...

anon, I agree! I hated the movie! But I couldn't divorce it from the book! Maybe if I had, I would have liked it better.