Thursday, October 3, 2013

Alice's Review: All You Desire

Summary:  Haven Moore and Iain Morrow have been living a blissful life in Rome, an ocean way from the Ouroboros Society and its diabolical leader. But paradise is not to last. The mysterious disappearance of Haven's best friend, Beau, sends the pair running back to New York, where they encounter the Horae, an underground group of women who have spent centuries scheming to destroy Adam Rosier. Only they can help Haven uncover the secret to Beau's whereabouts in one of her past lives. But their help comes at a price: Haven must infiltrate the Ouroboros Society, charm Adam Rosier, and lure him into a trap. It's a plan the Horae believe will save the world-but Haven and Iain fear that it may destroy the happiness they've been chasing for two thousand years

Review:  All You Desire picks up where The Eternal Ones left off.  I must confess, other than remembering how much I loved The Eternal Ones, I didn’t remember much about it.  After a quick read of my The Eternal Ones review, I felt like I had background to forge ahead.

All You Desire is a good novel.  However, the one thing it lacked was the originality and soul of The Eternal Ones.  Haven was more mature this time.  She faced real dilemmas of a young adult committed to one man.  I liked how she revisited past lives looking for answers and admitting to herself that things with Iain aren’t all that they seem.  Iain on the other hand drove me a little batty.  He was selfish all in the name of protecting Haven.  He took too many unnecessary risks.  If I was Haven, I would have kicked his butt to the curb.

There were so many plot twists, I had a hard time keeping track of whom to trust.   Usually action like that keeps me on the edge of my seat but this time the lack of a solid information was frustrating.  I got to the point where I didn’t care so much about what happened, I kept reading because I wanted it to be over.  That’s never good.  Ms. Miller left the ending wide open for a possible third book in the series.  After All You Desire, I’m not sure if I would pick it up.  One thing for certain is if I did, it’s definitely a library book.

I wonder how I would have felt about this novel had I read it immediately after The Eternal Ones.  Maybe that high would have carried through and I would have enjoyed it more than I did.  Time and distance tarnished the magic for me.  I appreciate the romance of the story.  A love that transcends time is always a big seller for me.  What was frustrating was the convoluted mystery in All You Desire overshadowed that love.

Final Take:  3/5

Eternal Ones Review here.

Share/BookmarkGoogle+

No comments: