Sunday, December 12, 2010

Jenn's 2011 To Be Read (TBR) Challenge

2011TBR








I have never participated in a Reading Challenge before but our friend Adam over at Roof Beam Reader is hosting a challenge that is perfect for me!


The 2011 To Be Read (TBR) Challenge: to finally read 12 books from your "to be read" pile, within 12 months.  

I know, that doesn't sound like much of a challenge for someone who reads as much as I do, but truly, it is.  So much of what I read lately is new books and/or requested reviews that some of the things I really want to read get set aside.  (When we started the blog three years ago, part of the reason was to further feed our book addiction, and it's worked, perhaps a little too well!)

The details:
Each of these 12 books must have been on your bookshelf or "To Be Read" list for AT LEAST one full year. This means the book cannot have a publication date of 1/1/2010 or later (any book published in the year 2009 or earlier qualifies, as long as it has been on your TBR pile). Caveat: Two (2) alternates are allowed, just in case one or two of the books end up in the "can't get through" pile.


I'm actually really excited about this!  It will be a chance to make sure I get to read things that I've been burning to read and haven't had a chance to pick up yet.  My list isn't quite as lofty as Adam's (who's list includes authors like Dickens, Hemingway, Vonnegut, and Updike), but it is varied:


Twelve Selected Reads (in Alphabetical Order*) :

  1. Hard Rain by Barry Eisler
  2. Inkheart by Cornelia Funke - Review 6/28/11
  3. Crosscut by Meg Gardiner -Review 4/26/11
  4. Kill Chain by Meg Gardiner
  5. The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe
  6. Stalemate by Iris Johansen
  7. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson - Review 1/28/11
  8. The Lost Recipe for Happiness by Barbara O'Neal - Review 6/14/11
  9. Brisingr by Christopher Paolini
  10. The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan -Review 11/9/11
  11. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
  12. Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner

Two Alternate Reads:
  1. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
  2. Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella


* I probably won't read them in alphabetical order.  

I rarely have a "can't get through" book, however, I'm anticipating I may have trouble with The Lovely Bones,  due to the subject matter. I actually considered removing it from the list, but I really do want to try it, knowing full well that I might need one of my alternates here.  My second alternate is listed too, as the rules dictate, just in case.

I will update this post with links to my reviews as I go.  I am really thrilled about all of this and can't wait to dive in!

Want to participate too?  Here's a link to Roof Beam Reader's 2011 To Be Read (TBR) Challenge.  But HURRY!  You need to have your list posted be 12/31, so start compiling... 

Share/Bookmark

5 comments:

Julie P said...

Nice list! The Lovely Bones is a great book....

Roof Beam Reader said...

Great list! I have major love for Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series, so I'm particularly excited to see The Lightning Thief up there!

I also would love to read: Eat, Pray, Love; Inkheart; and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (I've asked for the S. Larsson trilogy for Christmas).

Thanks for taking the challenge with me - Look forward to reading your reviews as we go along!

Jenn said...

I was underwhelmed by the movie of The Lightning Thief, but it hasn't dissuaded me from wanting to read the series.

Can't wait to get started! Thanks for hosting this, Adam.

Adam @ Roof Beam Reader said...

What!? Are you letting Julie beat you? Better get a move on! ;)

Also - The Lightning Thief is a great book. The whole series is great. I enjoyed the movie because I had read the book first and because I'm in love with Logan Lerman, but the book is definitely, definitely better.

Jenn said...

I'm reading another one now. :)

I made this list before I owned an e-reader and the physical books aren't as simple to haul around so they have been slowing me down a little. *embarrassed*

I think I've been a little resistant to Percy Jackson because I wasn't over the moon about the film. I would never judge a book by it's movie, but it didn't push me to pick it up either, if you know what I mean.