Thursday, June 11, 2015

Brittney's Review: Bossypants


Author: Tina Fey
Series: None
Publication Date: April 31, 2011
Publisher: Reagan Arthur Books
Pages: 352
Obtained: Purchased
Genre:Biography-Entertainment and Performing Arts
Rating: 3/5
Bottom Line: Not for casual fans
Grab, Just get it at the library, or Remove from your TBR list? Library
Summary: Before Liz Lemon, before "Weekend Update," before "Sarah Palin," Tina Fey was just a young girl with a dream: a recurring stress dream that she was being chased through a local airport by her middle-school gym teacher. She also had a dream that one day she would be a comedian on TV. 

She has seen both these dreams come true.

At last, Tina Fey's story can be told. From her youthful days as a vicious nerd to her tour of duty on Saturday Night Live; from her passionately halfhearted pursuit of physical beauty to her life as a mother eating things off the floor; from her one-sided college romance to her nearly fatal honeymoon -- from the beginning of this paragraph to this final sentence.

Tina Fey reveals all, and proves what we've all suspected: you're no one until someone calls you bossy.

(Includes Special, Never-Before-Solicited Opinions on Breastfeeding, Princesses, Photoshop, the Electoral Process, and Italian Rum Cake!) - amazon.com

Review:

Let's start out my very first review with an obvious statement: I am very behind on my TBR pile. But better late than never, am I right? I'm so thrilled to be joining GJR so I have a good excuse to finally crank through my list, while also soaking in books in a way that I wasn't always able to do when I worked in publishing.

Look, I'm not a Tina Fey Super Fan. As in, I don't go out of my way to watch her work. I wouldn't even go as far as saying I'm a casual fan. But I have enjoyed the few things I've seen (Sarah Palin), admired her work and attention to the smallest detail (Sarah Palin), and knew that as far as books by comedians go that this would be my best shot at enjoying a book in this realm.

This review is for the reader that has considered picking up a copy of Bossypants – maybe because of all of the rave reviews you've seen – and you're not sure if it's right for you. My answer boils down to one question: are you a SNL-lovin', 30-Rock watchin', Tina Fey fanatic? Yes? Then absolutely buy and read this book.

If you're only moderate in your feelings for any of the above mentioned items, then sure -- you'll learn something about the comedy/show business industry, and you'll get a few laughs in, too. But there are a slew of pages devoted to some of Tina's work which is most ideal for her fan base, and I especially found myself struggling to get through the 30-Rock chapter.

If you're like me, your best bet is to snag a copy from a friend, or loan one out from the library. Keep it as that little nugget you read in between a sweeping, emotional novel and use it as a refreshing mental break. Or read it this summer while you're sprawled out on the beach, or in between errands. There are some great points in here about women in the workplace, which in and of itself makes the book a worthwhile read.


  Share/BookmarkGoogle+

No comments: