Monday, March 31, 2014

Jenn's Review: The Iron Traitor


Author: Julie Kagawa
Series: The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten #2, The Iron Fey #6
Publication Date: October 29, 2013
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Pages: 384
Obtained: purchased
Genre:  YA, Fantasy
Rating: 4.5
Bottom Line: Sweeping tale; intense cliff-hanger
Grab, Just get it at the library, or Remove from your TBR list? Grab

Blurb:  In the real world, when you vanish into thin air for a week, people tend to notice. 

After his unexpected journey into the lands of the fey, Ethan Chase just wants to get back to normal. Well, as "normal" as you can be when you see faeries every day of your life. Suddenly the former loner with the bad reputation has someone to try for-his girlfriend, Kenzie. Never mind that he's forbidden to see her again. 

But when your name is Ethan Chase and your sister is one of the most powerful faeries in the Nevernever, "normal" simply isn't to be. For Ethan's nephew, Keirran, is missing, and may be on the verge of doing something unthinkable in the name of saving his own love. Something that will fracture the human and faery worlds forever, and give rise to the dangerous fey known as the Forgotten. As Ethan's and Keirran's fates entwine and Keirran slips further into darkness, Ethan's next choice may decide the fate of them all.


Review:  I was all set to read The Iron Traitor when it first came out in the fall but somehow I never got around to it.  I am glad that I've had a chance to do so, but I'm also a little saddened because now I have to wait for the next one.  I hate waiting!

Ethan has finally accepted his entwinement with the fey, so much so that he willingly returns to help his nephew.  I like the way Kenzie has softened him a little.  I like who he is when he's with her.  In so many ways, though, Ethan is like his sister, stubborn and a little reckless.  Unlike his sister he has someone he can turn to for help, but he chooses not to.  I will say in the beginning it is amusing to see Ash outwitted, but the gravity of the situation brings that to a quick end. I understand why Keirran chooses to go it alone, but it's certainly not the smartest plan.

The Iron Traitor heralds the return of Puck and his presence is sorely needed, not only to add a little levity but to help keep things rational.  Crazy that Puck would be a stabilizing force, but that's how extreme Ethan and Keirran can be.  He also one of the only characters present who knows the prophecy and all he can hope to do is watch and intervene but even Puck can't be everywhere at once.

The book ends where I knew it was heading; as cliff-hangers go, it's a brutal one.  Although I trust Julie Kagawa to see this through, it's hard to see a light at the end of this tunnel.  I started this series happy with where Meghan and Ash were and not wanting them to be featured, but I'm finding myself hoping to see a little more of them in the next book.  It somehow seems wrong to be in the Nevernever without them, and honestly, I think they will need to be the ones to sort things out.

  Share/BookmarkGoogle+

No comments: