Thursday, February 13, 2014

Julie's Review: Outlander


Author:Diana Gabaldon
Series: Yes
Narrator: Davina Porter
Publisher: Recorded Books
Hours: 33 Hours 8 Minutes
Obtained: Audible.com (mine)
Genre: historical fiction
Rating: 3/5
Bottom Line: Happy I am finished
Grab, Just get it at the library, or Remove from your TBR list? Just get it at the library
Summary: Claire Randall is leading a double life. She has a husband in one century, and a lover in another...In 1945, Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon — when she innocently touches a boulder in one of the ancient stone circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach — an "outlander" — in a Scotland torn by war and raiding border clans in the year of our Lord...1743. Hurled back in time by forces she cannot understand, Claire's destiny in soon inextricably intertwined with Clan MacKenzie and the forbidden Castle Leoch. She is catapulted without warning into the intrigues of lairds and spies that may threaten her life ...and shatter her heart. For here, James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, shows her a passion so fierce and a love so absolute that Claire becomes a woman torn between fidelity and desire...and between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives. ~powells.com
Review: Dear Lord Diana Gabaldon loves her words. Seriously, I don't think I've met an author who is as wordy as she is. This audiobook could have been trimmed by at least 10 hours. I am happy that I listened to it instead of reading it. I don't know if I could have gotten through the written words. I probably would have chucked the book across the room at some point. Usually these kinds of books are right up my alley; time travel, historical fiction, romance but dear lord it was too much. I don't know why either, but I think I found Claire to grate on my nerves one too many times. I mean it's going to happen in the 33 hours of the novel but sometimes I just had to shake my head.

It really isn't any wonder why she eventually chooses her path. Granted it comes over 1/2 way through the novel but you can't really see her outside of the the mid 1700s. Also, I will admit there is something about her and Jamie together that is intriguing. Let's talk about Jamie for a moment, he's a strapping young man of 23 and he's got charisma. I don't know if he has charm but he certainly has something. He's stubborn and willful.

I understand why people could get wrapped up in this series. It's lush, romantic and adventurous. It is also long and at times dull. There are some parts of this novel that just weren't necessary or fit into the overall scheme. There weren't many but some editing could have helped move the story along.

Now, while I am complaining about Ms. Gabaldon's love of words, it is evident that she knows how to tell a story. It is easy to get caught up in the story of the Clans of Scotland and to see how they lived back then. Also, Davina Porter is an excellent narrator. If it wasn't for her, I would have stopped listening. She changes her voice perfectly to capture the distinct characteristics.

As if you couldn't guess, I won't be going on in the series. To those of you who love the series, I hope it ends well for you. For those of you who haven't started,  be cautious, you might get sucked in and have to finish the whole series.




 Share/BookmarkGoogle+

2 comments:

Michelle said...

LMAO! You were very honest, and I love that. I also love your warning about getting sucked in. Too funny!

Anonymous said...

I'm a fan. It's good you are going to bow out now since the books only get more wordy and have even more downtime :)