Friday, February 28, 2014

Jenn's Review: Spying in High Heels


Author: Gemma Halliday
Series: High Heels, #1
Publication Date: July 1, 2006
Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform
Pages: 250
Obtained: purchased
Genre:  Cozy Mystery
Rating: 3.5
Bottom Line: Farfetched but enjoyable
Grab, Just get it at the library, or Remove from your TBR list? Just get it at the library...
 Blurb:  L.A. shoe designer, Maddie Springer, lives her life by three rules: Fashion. Fashion. Fashion. But when she stumbles upon the work of a brutal killer, her life takes an unexpected turn from Manolos to murder. And things only get worse when her boyfriend disappears - along with $20 million in embezzled funds - and her every move is suddenly under scrutiny by the LAPD's sexiest cop. With the help of her post-menopausal bridezilla of a mother, a 300 pound psychic and one seriously oversexed best friend, Maddie finds herself stepping out of her stilettos and onto the trail of a murderer. But can she catch a killer before the killer catches up to her...

Review:  Looking for something light to read, I settled on Spying in High Heels which has been on my Nook for a while now.  While the story was a little past plausible, it was cute and fun which is what I was looking for --imagine a toned down Stephanie Plum with Ranger and Morelli rolled into one cop.

I fell in easily with the characters, although Maddie did make me want to shake her on more than one occaision.  However I found her involvement in the case and with sexy LAPD officer Jack to be highly improbable.  Maddie's investigative skills leave a lot to be desired in the common sense area, but she seems to have good instincts for the truth. That put aside, the case was solid and kept me invested while the romantic intrigue between Jack and Maddie was enjoyable.   

I'm not sure how it will work as a series because I can't imagine a reason for her to be involved in another case.  Will I continue the High Heel series?  I think so; it's always nice to have a amusing, easy read on hand, but it will probably be from the library... or when the next ebook goes on sale.

No comments: