Monday, December 30, 2013

Julie's 2013 Books in Review




It's everyone's favorite time of the year! You know where everyone comes out with their favorite books of 2013 and I'm no different. I'm going to follow the same format at 2012 because it worked well for me. I would love to know your thoughts on my list.

My Goodreads Challenge Goal: 80 Books
Books Read: 86!!! (Through 12/26/2013)

2013 was yet another year where I had more than a handful of 5/5 books! So, here is the break down by category for my favorites (top 5 (or more) in each if applicable).

Contemporary Fiction:

The Promise of Stardust by Pricille Sibley
And The Mountains Echoed by Khaled Housseni
We Are Water by Wally Lamb
The Book of Someday by Dianne Dixon
Hush Little Baby by Suzanne Redfern

Historical Fiction:

Call Me Zelda by Erika Robuck
The Yonahlossee Riding Camp for Girls by Anton Scalafani
The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd (1/2014 Release)
The Aviator's Wife by Melanie Benjamin
Songs of Willow Frost by Jamie Ford

Historical Fiction & Contemporary Fiction:

The Art Forger by B.A. Shapiro
The Pieces We Keep by Kristina McMorris
The Engagements by J. Courtney Sullivan
The Ashford Affair by Lauren Willig
Morning Glory by Sarah Jio

Mystery/Crime/Thriller/Suspense:

Farewell to Freedom by Sara Bladel
The Shadow Tracer by Meg Gardiner
Help for the Haunted by John Searles
Six Years by Harlan Coben
The Doll by Taylor Stevens

Women's Fiction:

A Hundred Summers by Beatriz Williams
Looking at Me by Beth Hoffman
Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman
Me Before You by JoJo Moyes
Lost Lake by Sarah Addison Allen (1/2014 Release)
The Best of Us by Sarah Pekkanen
The Theory of Opposites by Allison Winn Scotch

Chick Lit:

Chocolate for Two by Maria Murnane
Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella

Young Adult:

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Other Categories:

The World's Strongest Librarian by Josh Hanagarane (Memoir)
Brilliance by Marcus Sakey (Sci-fi/Speculative Fiction)

I am hoping that 2014 is as wonderful of a reading year as 2013! Happy Reading!





Share/BookmarkGoogle+

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I've enjoyed some of the same books. Great list. Congratulations on meeting your reading goal. Happy New Year!

Beth Hoffman said...

Oh my gosh, what an honor it is to see both my novels on your list! Thank you so much, Julie!

Stephsco said...

I used to read a lot of women's fiction/literary before I got the bug to write YA. I read a Barbara Delinsky book earlier this year that blew me away--elegant, thoughtful writing (Not My Daughter), that made me realize I miss those books. I also returned to Jennifer Weiner, which I was a little more mixed on, but overall I still like her. I think I need to revisit Jodi Picoult too after a good four or five years away from her books.

I was not so impressed by The Aviator's Wife--one of my bigger reading disappointments of the year. I've heard good things about Call Me Zelda, so I'll have to add that one.

Anonymous said...

Somehow I've only managed to read 3 of those. Love both of Beth Hoffman's and Six Years.
I'm adding The Doll to my reading list this year since you loved it! I've only read the first so I need to read the 2nd first!

Unknown said...

Great lists ladies! Julie you and I read many of the same...no surprise! I look forward to more of all your reviews in 2014~~!

Taylor Stevens said...

I'm so incredibly honored that THE DOLL made it onto your "best of" list. Thank you!!