Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Group Review: The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest

Summary: In the concluding volume of Stieg Larsson's Millennium trilogy, Lisbeth Salander lies in critical condition in a Swedish hospital, a bullet in her head. But she's fighting for her life in more ways than one: if and when she recovers, she'll stand trial for three murders. With the help of Mikael Blomkvist, she'll need to identify those in authority who have allowed the vulnerable, like herself, to suffer abuse and violence. And, on her own, she'll seek revenge--against the man who tried to killer her and against the corrupt government institutions that nearly destroyed her life. ~powells.com  

Alice's Review:  This is going to be a mirror review.  Julie and I both had the same issue.  After reading The Girl Who Played with Fire, I was filled with anticipation for the final book in the series.  My mistake was waiting two years to read it.  By the time I picked it up, I had lost the love I felt for Lisbeth and Blomkvist.  I just wanted to know what happened in the end.  I didn't need to read it to find out. Someone just tell me.  Please.

All joking aside, I tried to read it.  I really did.  I couldn't get past Mr. Larsson's endless explanations of plots and characters and situations.  I threw this novel in my beach bag, figuring it would be a perfect novel to read on the side.  The only thing it succeeded in doing was putting me to sleep every time I picked it up.  I still don't know what happened and it's still in my beach bag even though it's December in New Jersey and I won't be going anywhere near a beach for at least 5 months.  I would like to finish it, see it through to the end but I know what won't happen for a while.  So in the beach bag is where it will stay.  And maybe one day, I'll actually finish it.  But I won't hold my breadth.

Alice's Final Take:  DNF

Julie's Review:  I tried, I really did but I just couldn't do it. I couldn't finish the book. It took way to long to get to the damn point of the novel. Too many characters, too many subplots, too much conspiracy. I mean I love conspiracy novels but this just took it to a whole new level. A ridiculous level.

I just wanted to know what happened to Lisbeth and if she exacted her revenge. I wanted to know that Blomkvist helped her and that they ended up on good terms. I think I can pretty much say yes to both of those without reading the rest of the novel.

I truly loved the first two books in this trilogy with The Girl Who Played with Fire being my favorite. Lisbeth Salander will go down in my books as a truly unique and interesting fictional character.

Julie's Final Take: DNF

Jenn's Review




 Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

techeditor said...

Funny, I thought this was the best book in the series. To be honest, I thought it was the least ridiculous of the three. No, I didn't care for this series and cannot understand why it got so much attention.

Jenn said...

My favorite too, but I loved the series.

Julie said...

I loved the series but this one got lost in subplots of subplots to me. The Girl Who Played with Fire is my favorite.