Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 Books in Review: Least Favorite Books

Not every book we read will be our favorite, it’s a fact.  Some of them are better than others.  Some of them start off great but end with a dud.  Some never quite grab us and we’re left turning page after page of a story with characters we don’t care about.  Those books are yawns.  Some books make us angry and not because that’s the emotion the author wished to emote.  No, we’re angry because we invested our time and it wasn’t worth it.  And there are a few things sadder than a book that is not worth reading. 

That being said, we’ve come across a few books that didn’t sing to us, and here for your reading pleasure are our least favorite books of 2013.

Alice:


Like the other girls, this is a tough one for me.  We all realize how difficult it is for an author to write a novel.  We know the heart and soul that goes into the words.  It’s someone’s baby, they birth an idea and put forth into the world a book for the enjoyment and criticism of others.  So it’s with a bit of a heavy heart that I give you my list.

Poison Shy by Stacey Madden:  This novel is on my list because it was pretty unmemorable for me. I don't remember reading it at all and needed to read my review to refresh my memory.  Unmemorable should most definitely be on the criteria of Least Favorite Books.

The Ninth Wife by Amy Stolls:  I had high hopes or this novel.  It was on my TBR list for a while, sadly it or more specifically Beth was a bit of a disappointment.  

All You Desire by Kirsten Miller:  I couldn’t wait to read the next book in the Eternal Ones series however, it definitely wasn’t as good as the first.

Jenn:  

As you may know, I haven't read a lot this year, but there are still a few books I could have left behind.  Surprisingly, James Patterson's Along Came a Spider is one of them and Melissa de la Cruz's Blue Bloods (yes, I know, everyone loves that series, but it felt like a whole lot of plot exposition to me) is the other.

However, there one book that stands out as a true disappointment, and that would be The Heist by  Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg.  It wasn't horrible (I wouldn't say don't read it), but I had such high expectations from that brilliant writer pairing and it didn't make the mark... I hope the series improves, because it's full of potential.

Anyone else feel this way, or did you love it?

Julie:

These are the two that just didn't resonate with me at all. I know that others loved them but that's the great thing about books, each readers brings a different view point and gets something different out of them.

Cartwheel by Jennifer Dubois
The Affair of Others by Amy Grace Lloyd


So those are our not so favorite reads of 2013.  Feel free to let us know what books you could have done without this year... or if you disagree with us completely.

We look forward to many awesome reads in 2014 and wish you happy reading!   

Share/BookmarkGoogle+

No comments: