Sunday, June 23, 2013

Children's Corner: Good Night Moon

Review: I'm sure Goodnight Moon is on every child's bookshelf and if it's not, it should be. I've read it to both of my kids and now my son is reading it to me. What is great about this book is that it has many lives. You first start off reading it to your child, then you have your child point out the items in the novel, and then at some point your child is ready to read it to you.

The illustrations are perfect for a young baby (primary colors!) to an older pre-k child who likes to search for the items in the book. We plucked this one off of the bookshelf the other night and I had my 5 year old read it to me for a change. I was so proud of him as he sounded out the bigger words all on his own. Typically this a is a book we end our evening of reading with and I thought having him read it was the best way to end the night.

It is hard to believe that this book was first published in 1947 and that it is still a mainstay for children's books. I don't think this one will ever get old and even though our copy has tape holding the binding together, this will be a book I pack away for my kids to read/give to theirs.

Share/BookmarkGoogle+

4 comments:

Monika @ Lovely Bookshelf said...

We love this book! It was new to me as a mom; never read it as a child.

Michelle said...

I don't remember this one from when I was a kid, but I absolutely loved reading it to both of my children. I still have it memorized, and my youngest is turning nine this year. There is something so absolutely timeless about the book and its gentle fade into sleep that makes it so precious.

Jenn said...

We put this one away because it was a board book... maybe time to get a real copy.

Julie said...

Jenn ours is still a board book. A well worn board book. The kids don't seem to mind.