Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Alice's Review: Because My Name Is Mother

Summary:  With poignancy and humor, Deborah Batterman reminds us in these brief, linked essays that every mother is a daughter, too. The insights she brings to simple acts – looking at old photographs, recalling the smells and tastes of her mother’s cooking, making her daughter’s bed or shopping with her – are as beautifully rendered as they are profound. ~ blurb

Review:  "Because My Name is Mother" is a wonderful collection of essays by blogger and short story writer Deborah Batterman.  I think the best word to describe these essays is the word used twice throughout the essays.  That word is poignant.  Each essay is thought-provoking and emotional.  The common link is motherhood and I thoroughly enjoyed them.   I am not a mother and can’t even because to understand what being a mother means.  I do have a close relationship with my mom and am able to relate to each story on that level.  I found it interesting to read these novels from a daughter’s point of view.

This collection would make a great Mother’s Day gift or a birthday gift for a special Mother in your life.

Follow her personal blog here and on Facebook here.

Final Take: 5/5


Share/BookmarkGoogle+

1 comment:

Monika @ Lovely Bookshelf said...

Ohhh my mom's birthday is coming up, thanks for this great review!