Friday, April 26, 2013

Alice's Review: Dear Lucy

Summary:  Lucy is a young woman with an uncommon voice and unusual way of looking at the world. She would tell you that she is “missing too many words,” but despite her limitations she has a boundless zest for discovery and a deep desire to connect with those around her.  Deserted by her vivacious, social-climbing mother, Lucy has been taken in by an older couple, known only as Mister and Missus, to work on their farm. There, she befriends a pregnant teenager named Samantha who tells conflicting stories about her past, but who finds an unlikely rapport with Lucy. Samantha wants to say something so I can understand it. Not just shake her head like flies are trying to land on her and say, I just don’t know about you Lucy. That is all some other people do when I say things. When Samantha gives birth and the baby disappears, Lucy arms herself with Samantha’s diary and a talking chicken named Jennifer;and embarks on a journey to reunite mother and child. A luminous, heartbreaking story of love, family, and loyalty, Dear Lucy is fresh, exciting storytelling at its finest. ~powells.com

Review: This is probably one of the strangest reviews I have ever written.    I thought Dear Lucy was brilliant.  The concept was remarkable.  It was creative, well written and unlike anything I have ever read, expect for maybe Room by Emma Donoghue (read our review here).  It was haunting and beautiful.  I fully understand why this novel will get the critical acclaim it deserves.  That being said, I did not like it at all.  Shocking, right?  I’m not mad I read it, in fact I highly recommend it.

I know it’s strange to voice all these accolades while holding steadfast to my dislike.  I think my major disconnect was with the characters.  I didn’t like Lucy or her mother or Mister or Missus or Samantha.  I was shocked people like this exist, even in fiction, especially Missus.  My favorite character was Jennifer the talking chicken.  I tried to pinpoint what bothered me so much them, but in doing that I was losing sight of what good Dear Lucy has.   It is wonderful.  I was riveted from beginning to end.  Some of the subject matter was upsetting but necessary.  I did guess at one major plot point fairly early on in the novel but was still shocked to see it come to fruition in print. 

I do recommend you read Dear Lucy and remember the name Julie Sarkissian.  This is the first novel in what I’m sure will be a very successful career for her.  I will definitely read her again.

Final Take: 4/5

Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

thecuecard said...

Sounds a bit confusing. You were riveted & thought it wonderful but did not like it at all but would recommend it. I guess I'll stay away from Dear Lucy for now.