Sunday, March 10, 2013

Children's Corner: Pop! The Invention of Bubble Gum

Review:  It really didn't surprise me that my gum loving 7 year old daughter brought home a book about bubble gum. What did surprise me was that it's a biography when I was all set for fiction.

Ms. McCarthy does a wonderful job of portraying the story about the inventor of bubble gum while making it engaging and age appropriate. It shows kids that you can try at anything and if you keep trying you just might succeed; to never give up. This story shows that failing can sometimes give you ideas on how to make something better.

I also liked that I learned something about gum from the book. Ms. McCarthy takes the reader on a short journey through the history of gum. Who knew the Ancient Greeks chewed sap? Not me!!

As we got to the end of Pop!: The Invention of Bubble Gum, I turned the page and what do you know Ms. McCarthy had a some other notes on Walter Diemer, the inventor of bubble gum. Plus facts and more facts about bubble gum.

I wouldn't have known that this was a non-fiction book until the end. Which is probably why my daughter picked it up. She had no idea it wasn't a true story.

I will definitely be checking out Ms. McCarthy's other novels City Hawk: The Story of Pale Male and Seabiscuit the Wonder Horse as I try to get my daughter to read more non-fiction.


Share/Bookmark

No comments: