Sunday, March 17, 2013

Children's Corner: Go, Dog, Go!

 The Dr. Seuss series needs no publicity, but in honor of my daughter reading her first book that isn't a "reader", Go, Dog, Go! is my feature for today.  This was the first book I read as a child, and the first book my brother read (quite possibly the only book he's ever read, but we can't all be readers I guess...), and, quite by accident, it is now the first book my daughter has read.  As a child I loved the silliness of it, as an adult I love how it's designed for a beginning reader.

This is a long book.  I'd forgotten how long a book can be when you are first starting to read.  What I love though it that there is so much to discuss in each picture that it gives the struggling reader a break when they most need it to examine the pictures and enjoy the scenes.  I love that the pictures can be used for contextual clues too.  Honestly, I don't think I will ever look at this series the same way again; my appreciation has increased ten-fold.


Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Monika @ Lovely Bookshelf said...

Congrats to your daughter! That's a great first book. We have a copy from when I was a kid, a board book version, and an interactive Nook book version. Definitely a favorite in our house!