Friday, November 16, 2012

Movie Review: One for the Money

Summary:  Katherine Heigl stars as Stephanie Plum in this broad comedy, based on the best-selling novel from Janet Evanovich. Stephanie Plum (Katherine Heigl) is a bright, attractive, confident woman whose entire life has just taken a sudden turn — in the wrong direction. Newly divorced and recently laid off, the only work she can scrape up is a dead-end job at her sleazy cousin's bail bond office. But when her first big assignment involves tracking down an on-the-lam ex-flame (Jason O'Mara), this tough-as-nails lady bounty hunter will be redefining the meaning of hot pursuit in this thrill-packed action comedy. ~amazon.com


Review:  I was a huge fan of the Stephanie Plum series up until book 12, then I was done. I felt like it was just going in circles. So when we heard they were going to do a movie based on One for the Money , we here at GJR were skeptical. I mean for me it would be a better tv show. We were even more shocked when they cast Katherine Heigl as Stephanie. Definitely not our choice.

Now given that statement, Ms. Heigel didn't do a bad job as Stephanie. I would have been more happy if they would have made Steph just a bit more chunky. She always complaining about needing to lose the last 10-20 lbs. Jason O'Mara did a great job as Joe Morelli but I wasn't sold on Daniel Sunjata as Ranger. I still think that Dwayne Johnson aka The Rock, would have been perfect for this role. It's ok because given that Í'm a "cupcake" it's probably better that it wasn't Dwayne or I might be a "babe" convert.

Since I read the book many years ago, I think it is pretty close to the plot. I think that those in supporting roles were perfect, even Sherri Shepard as Lula was clever casting. Debbie Reynolds was a hoot as Grandma Mazar.

Overall it was an entertaining movie and if you haven't read the book you'd probably enjoy it slightly more than I did. I don't think it made enough money to do any of the other books, which again is why it would have been better to do on cable.

Final Take: 3.25/5


Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Oddly, I've felt the need to try it as of late... Glad you didn't feel it was as bad as we feared.

Michelle said...

I was curious how Katherine Heigl would stack up as one of Evanovich's most famous characters. It isn't one that ever struck my fancy, but thanks for the info!

Anonymous said...

I made it up to book 15 I think. You're right, this would be a better cable series! I thought the movie was average and Katherine didn't have the spark that Stepahnie has in the books.