Monday, February 27, 2012

Jenn's Review: Hexbound

Summary:  Lily Parker is new to St. Sophia's School for Girls, but she's already learned that magic can be your best friend-or your worst enemy. That's why Lily has to learn how to control her newly discovered paranormal abilities while fighting the good fight with her best friend Scout as they take on Chicago's nastiest nightlife-including the tainted magic users known as Reapers...

Review:  This is the second book in the Dark Elite series from Chloe Neill.  I started reading this series because the publisher sent me two ARCs (yes, there is a chance one will be yours in the very near future) of book three, Charmfall and it looked good enough that I wanted to dive in at the beginning.  While Firespell seemed to be over just as it began, Hexbound picks up right where things left off, and the action continues to roll.

In Firespell  Lily is discovering her world; in Hexbound Lily is living in it and beginning to question it.  I love Chloe Neill's writing style.  I love the wit and the banter between Lily and Scout. The mysteries and little sub-plots are fascinating.  I love that Neill can mention just a part of St. Sophia's school day, but with a few snide or flippant comments from the girls, it feels fully inclusive.  My only complaint with these books is that they're too short.  There is such a wealth of story in the plot and the characters, I wish she'd expand upon everything and double the length of each book, because believe me, everyone would still be captivated.  That being said, at no time do I feel the story is lacking, I just really want to know more!

I think this would be a great series for a reluctant reader.  It's short, to the point, and never lagging.  I look forward to starting the recently released Charmfall in the next few weeks... and I promise there will be a giveaway to go with it!

Final Take:  3.75/5

Share/Bookmark

No comments: