Sunday, February 26, 2012

Children's Corner: The Jellybeans and the Big Book Bonanza

I wasn't quite sure about this one when we checked it out, but it's the team of Laura Numeroff and illustrator Lynn Munsinger, so how far wrong can it go?  As it turns out, I like this one a lot, probably because the main bookworm character reminds me of me as a child.  As soon as I could read, I never went anywhere without a book (I used to follow my mother through a busy mall while reading), and Anna is quite the same.

However, Anna's friends are all quite different; one loves to dance, one loves to paint, and one loves to play soccer.  But when a book report is assigned in class, Anna proudly helps them navigate the library.  The girls learn to appreciate books, and Anna learns to appreciated her friends.  This is a cute story about friendship and book love and it's a great child-accessible example of how our differences make us who we are and make us stronger together.  If you are looking for a feel-good, life lesson, you can't go wrong with The Jellybeans and the Big Book Bonanza.
Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Julie said...

I tried to get N interested in this one at the bookstore but she wanted chapter books. :)