Sunday, July 17, 2011

Children's Corner: Cooking with Henry and Elliebelly

Cooking with Henry and ElliebellyReview:  This is an unique picture book in that the entire story is told through dialogue.  I was a little unsure of this type of story telling for this age group, but it's fantastic.

You can tell 5 year old Henry is doing his best to include his little sister in his play.  He's hosting a cooking show (they're making  raspberry-marshmallow-peanut butter waffles with barbecued banana bacon) and letting her help. But, as with most two year olds, Elliebelly's suggestions aren't always helpful or relevant.  Henry does his best to accommodate Eleanor's interjections, including changing the name of the show to Pirate Cooking with Henry and Elliebelly, but even then, he still needs a little intervention from mom.

I love the imagination in this book.  It's cute and funny, and true to life.  We brought it home from the library and it has been a daily read.  I think this will be another permanent addition to my daughter's bookshelf.

Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Rubita said...

I read this to a group of four-and-five years olds and I think it was perfect. It might works with sixes, but I doubt sevens would be interested.

Another book with a cooking theme that kids tend to enjoy is Cook-a-Doodle-Doo! I love it too, and it works great with older audiences if you read The Little Red Hen first. Then you can encourage them to discuss the differences and similarities.