Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Jenn's Review: Firelight

Firelight. Sophie JordanSummary:  Marked as special at an early age, Jacinda knows her every move is watched. She longs for the freedom to make her own choices, but when she breaks the 'no flying' rule, she nearly pays with her life. Until a beautiful stranger saves her. A stranger who was sent to hunt those like her. For Jacinda is a draki, a descendant of dragons whose greatest defence is her secret ability to shift into human form. And her rare ability to breathe fire makes her desirable, and important, to the survival of the draki. Forced to flee into the mortal world with her family, Jacinda struggles to adapt to her new surroundings. There she meets gorgeous, elusive Will who stirs her inner draki to life. Although she is irresistibly drawn to him, Jacinda knows Will's dark secret: he and his family are hunters. She should avoid him at all costs. But her inner draki is slipping away, and if it dies she will be left as a human forever. She'll do anything to prevent that. Even if it means getting closer to her most dangerous enemy.

Review: I gave been looking forward to reading this book ever since I came across the cover; its just beautiful. Perhaps my expectations were a little too high. Don't get me wrong, I liked the book, but I didn't love it, and I so wanted to...

The story is intriguing. I found the draki fascinating but before the reader has a chance to get to know them, the story moves away from them. For someone who felt completely overdosed on plot exposition, having read Larsson's Millennium trilogy in quick succession, I was a little surprised to find myself craving it here. But information is given as necessary, just enough to keep the reader's interest piqued. The plot seemed a little familiar, but it was certainly a twist on convention.

What it comes down to, once again, for me is that Jacinda is tough to like. Perhaps it's the mother in me but, though I understand Jacinda doesn't like the decisions her mother has made to protect her, I was frustrated with the fact that she seems to determined to ignore the danger she is in or in which continues to put her family. Yes, her family is asking too much of her, they may even be going about things all wrong (you can't force someone to change), but Jacinda pouts and rebels. Yes, I know. She's a teenager, and I don't mind flawed characters, but self absorbed to the point of blinded bothers me.  She brings most of her trouble on herself, making bad decision after bad decision.  Will, on the other hand, is far more interesting.  It's obvious he's not telling Jacinda everything, but it's also obvious that he really cares for her.  For me, he is the driving force behind the story.

Despite the main character, I found the story interesting, especially once it picked up within the last few chapters. I was sad to see it come to an end, especially since it felt like it just started to get going. I'm captivated by the draki and can't wait to learn more about them. I want to know what happens with Will. I think this series has tremendous potential and I anticipate that Sophie Jordan will see it through to fruition.

Final Take 3.75/5

Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I definitely was looking forward to this book and I liked it OK too. I was slightly disappointed though.. something about it just didn't capture me completely. I think in a few years her writing could be really good, but for now it felt a little stumbling. I look forward to see whats next!

Jenn said...

The more I think about it, I think it was a little too teen angst-y. And when it finally got interesting, it was over...