Thursday, December 2, 2010

Jenn's Review: The Secret Society of the Pink Crystal Ball

The Secret Society of the Pink Crystal BallSummary:  Erin Channing is convinced that she’s the most boring, normal girl on the planet. But when her kooky aunt mysteriously dies and leaves Erin a pink crystal “answer ball” that really is magic, Erin’s boring, normal existence gets turned upside down. With the help of her two best friends, Lindsay and Samantha, Erin deciphers a set of cryptic rules for how to use the ball, while at the same time finds herself falling for a guy she thought she couldn’t stand. But when Lindsay and Samantha try to convince her to break one of the rules and use the ball to solve their own problems, the plan backfires on them, and Erin realizes that she must use her common sense and intelligence to get everything back to, well… normal.

Review:  This is an enjoyable, light YA read.  It mixes a  little bit of reality with a lot of teen drama.  It actually reminded me a little of Ann Brashares' Traveling Pants series, slightly more straightforward with none of the twists or complexity.

Though there were no surprises, I was still compelled to keep reading; thinking I'd just put it down and come back to it, I found myself picking it back up.  Erin is endearing in her rigidity towards rules and life in general and I found myself cheering for her as she learns life doesn't always stay inside the box.  Although I found her friends interesting, I would have loved to get to know them a little better.  (However, I think Risa Green is reserving that for future books as this is set up nicely for sequels.) Erin also learns the importance of a little magic, but that nothing is more important than free will and the choices you make.  And that sometimes, what you believe is more important than what is. 

This is a smart, quick, and easy YA.  I look forward to finding out more about The Secret Society of the Pink Crystal Ball

Final Take 3.75/5

1 comment:

Casey (The Bookish Type) said...

This sounds like a sweet and fun read! Anything that earns a comparison to Traveling Pants definitely piques my interest! Thanks for the review!