Monday, November 22, 2010

Book to Movie Group Review: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Jenn's Review:  I know many people were unhappy with the last movie.  I wasn't one of them.  I thought Half Blood Prince captured the spirit of the book, even though so much had been cut, which is something I found lacking in Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix.  This movie blew me away though.  So much so that I was ready to go back to the theatres the next day and see it again just to take in any details I might have missed.  Deathly Hallows, Part 1 is the closest any of the movies have stuck to the book since Philosopher's Stone.



Even the dialogue is as close if not closer than ever before including some of my favorite lines, "Always the tone of surprise," and some new gems, "Dobby didn't mean to kill anyone. Dobby only meant to maim or seriously injure."

It started with the Dursley's leaving, and though I missed the awkward goodbye scene with Dudley, it was a small thing.  Lupin's self doubt was omitted as was Potter Watch, but not to the detriment of the film in any way.  The only part that was slightly awkward for me was that they threw Bill Weasley in, when, for six movies, they've ignored his and Charlie's existence.  But it was a quick introduction and it was forgiven as soon as the action started. 

And did it ever!  The cinematography was brilliant.  From seven Harry's, to mid air fight/flight scenes, to the conflict in Godric's Hollow, to Horcrux destruction. I also enjoyed the way they brought the story of the hallows to life on screen.  It would have been boring to sit around watching Hermione read from a book.  This was an elegant illustration without detracting from the overall arch.

It is wonderful to see how much the actors and the characters have grown.  They obviously enjoy each others company and it translates to the screen.  Character-wise, it was good to finally see Ron take charge and to see Hermione's vulnerabilities.  The tenderness between both couples has blossomed and was beautifully portrayed.

The split was perfect.  I was concerned it was too far along, but picking up the book today, I realized it was only a little past the halfway mark.  With what was left out of the last movie, I'm still not sure how they will know what they are looking for in the next movie, but having seen this one, I have complete faith, they'll do it justice.  This was the best film since Chris Columbus was working on them.  I can't wait to see it again!

Book To Movie Final Take:  4.9/5.0


Julie's Review: I'm not a re-reader and sometimes I think that does me good and other times I think it puts me at a disadvantage. I will admit, other than the end of the Deathly Hallows I really don't recall much. After all it was 3 years ago. Now all of that being said, the movie blew me away.

I love how the director caught the complexities of the friendships in the movies, especially between Ron and Harry. I loved the line when Ron told him that it's not just about Harry, that it is bigger than him. In ways, Ron is correct but it is ultimately about the fight between Voldemort and Harry. Good vs. Evil.

The movie kept along at a nice pace but I kept wondering where they would end it. And in my opinion (and my Brother-In-Laws) they ended it perfectly! It only sucks that we have to wait until July 2011 to see the ending. Maybe I'll go back and re-read it? Probably not.

I loved how they made the story of The Three Brothers come to life in a cartoon like sketch. It was a pivotal moment in the movie. I loved seeing Ron have a bit of fire in his belly and speaking his mind.

There was definitely a sense of foreboding in this movie unlike the others in the series. Sure the movies have gotten darker as they have grown up but I just kept waiting for something awful to happen in this movie.

I cried twice in the movie, in the beginning when Hedwig died and of course when Dobby saved Harry and the gang from Bellatrix.

My brother-in-law and I were talking about the Malfoy's on the way home and we can't quite figure out what they did to piss off Voldemort, but they are definitely not in his good graces (you know if he has them). These are probably the details that I'm forgetting.

All in all a great addition to the Harry Potter family and I'm ready for the final installment to get here and yet I will be extremely sad to see it end. Just like I was bawling when I finished the book.

Book To Movie Final Take: 4.75/5

Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts guys! I'm currently re-reading the series with my 8 year old daughter (and have let her watch each movie after we finish a book). We are currently halfway through Goblet of Fire. My husband and I will be heading to the movies tonight to see Deathly Hallows and I am totally excited and completely prepared to cry my eyes out!

girlsinthestacks.com said...

What great reviews! I haven't read this book, but I do plan on going and watching this movie...hopefully this weekend.

Kristen said...

I agree with you guys, I thought the movie was great! It's easily my favorite of all the Harry Potter movies and I can't wait to see it again. It seemed to be really faithful to the book, and I agree with Jenn that the changes they did make didn't bother me too much. Overall, I think they just did a great job.

Anna said...

I'm with Julie on the ending--it really stuck out to me as a great place to end things. I'd forgotten a lot about the book, too, over the past few years, so was actually surprised a lot during the movie. Loved it!