Monday, July 19, 2010

Books to TV: Rizzoli and Isles

Jenn's Thoughts: It was everything I expected it to be and more. Tess Gerritsen is a master of suspense and I think that really came through on the screen. I look forward to seeing how the writers maintain that and keep the camaraderie. Although with all the serial killer tension last week, I'm not sure viewer's who haven't read at least some of the series really got to know the character's very well. It will be interesting to watch them balance the suspense and the character development. And I loved that Jane saved herself from the situation last week.

I loved the cast ~it was great to see Angie Harmon on TV. I really think this is perfect for her. Sasha Alexandra is a great Isles, and I'm looking forward to seeing more from her character. It was nice to see Billy Burke too ~in the series Jane marries an FBI agent, and I'm wondering if that was the set up for that... I hope so because it would be nice to keep him around.

The network has to be pleased, too. The show set a series-launch record with 7.6 million viewers. Let's hope they keep pulling them in!

On another note, I was a little disappointed with the criticism floating around the Twitterverse that Rizzoli & Isles is a cheap knock off of Bones. The characters Jane Rizzoli and Maura Isles have been around longer than Seeley Booth & Temperance Brennan (from Bones on television). Now if you want talk Andrew Ryan and Temperance Brennan (frow Reichs's written work), that's a different story. However, it's certainly not a fair comparison. Book-to-television-wise, Rizzoli & Isles is truer to the written word than Bones. And that's not a criticism, for as anyone who reads our blog regularly knows, I'm a huge fan of both Rizzoli & Isles and Bones as well as Tess Gerritsen's & Kathy Reichs's books. Appreciate it for what it is, people!

There is actually a comment on Twitter from a viewer that said she hated it but then again she hates both actresses... now every one's entitled to their own opinions, but I was sorely tempted to respond with a line from Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, "Well then it's a good thing you're going to a chocolate factory, you ungrateful little..." But I digress. What I'm trying to say is, if you are a fan of crime shows, keep watching. I'm expecting great things from this series.

What was the other thing wanted to say? Oh, yeah, and I'm glad it's Monday because I'll be tuning in again tonight!


Julie's Thoughts: Have I ever mentioned that I love Angie Harmon? Well when Jenn told me about Rizzoli & Isles being on TNT and she was a lead; I knew I would at least check it out. I have read a couple of Tess Gerritsen novels but it's been a few years. Apparently the first episode is based on the books I did read only because I remember the titles not the plot. I know that's pretty awful but pretty common among avid book readers.

I think the casting is superb on the show. Angie plays a great cop, as most of her fans know. I know that Sasha Alexandra looks familiar but I can't place it. She's a great Maura Isles. The supporting cast looks to be solid as well. I hope that Bruce McGill is on the show more than once. And well what else can you say about Lorraine Braco but what a catch for the show.

I know that some people have a problem when Hollywood gets a hold of characters from books but I don't. Maybe it will make people who love the show go pick up the books and get more background more detail.

Maybe Jenn and I will share Tess Gerritsen books. :)

If you love police shows then you should most definitely check out Rizzoli & Isles on Monday nights on TNT at 9pm CST. It is perfectly paired with The Closer.




Share/Bookmark



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you guys - I thought the feeling of Tess Gerritsen's novels came across nicely, and let's just say Angie Harmon slips into this kind of roles like they're her favorite pair of jeans. I enjoy Sasha Alexander's Maura Isles very much too. It's still a little bittersweet - WMC was the only show where I ever got involved in a fan campaign, we did a Virtual Season for two years, and so on. But R&I started off great. I did a lot off combing through tweets and rolled my eyes a lot, too.

Mari said...

It came on already?! I will have to catch tonight's episode.

Julie said...

I do still miss WMC. ABC didn't give it a fair shake. :) At least Angie found this though.

Anonymous said...

I've enjoyed the first two episodes. Makes me want to read the series!

Unknown said...

I'm from the UK so didn't know that a TV series was being made featuring Tess Gerritsen's characters - Hope it crosses the pond! :)