Friday, February 12, 2010

Random Musings

So my husband and I were discussing books and why some books are initially published in hardcover and then move to paperback; and how others are just published in paperback.

That got me wondering, why is this? Why are some books published in hardcover initially? Who/how/what determines what fashion they are published in?

For answers, I asked a contact in the publishing industry to give me some insight. Here is their answer:

"There are many variables when determining the format of a book. A lot of times it is based on the author and what genre they are publishing in. Several of our upcoming trade paperbacks are first time authors who’s books are attractive to niche markets. There are instances where a book may have more book club appeal and publishing in trade paperback means they won’t have to wait a year for the conversion."

Anyone else ever ponder this?

1 comment:

Serena said...

I've always wondered about that and this seems to provide some insight. I've also wondered why there is a year long wait between hardcover and paperback...you'd think if hardcover doesn't sell well, they would switch to paperback sooner...