Thursday, December 31, 2009

Movie Review: Sherlock Holmes

Photobucket Summary: After finally catching serial killer and occult "sorcerer" Lord Blackwood, legendary sleuth Sherlock Holmes and his assistant Dr. Watson can close yet another successful case. But when Blackwood mysteriously returns from the grave and resumes his killing spree, Holmes must take up the hunt once again. Contending with his partner's new fiancée and the dimwitted head of Scotland Yard, the dauntless detective must unravel the clues that will lead him into a twisted web of murder, deceit, and black magic - and the deadly embrace of temptress Irene Adler. ~imdb.com

Review: I've been wanting to see Sherlock Holmes since I began to see the previews months ago. The biggest hurdle for me was getting my husband to go, he's not a movie guy. A few people said it was really good so I was able to talk him into going. This movie is not a let down in anyway. The action is constant, the mystery is good and Holmes is a brilliant boxer/fighter. Watson is more than a silly sidekick and Jude Law is excellent in this role. I love how Holmes is eccentric and needs Watson to keep him in the real world. There is quite a bit of humor throughout the movie to lighten the mood. I loved the late 1800's London that the film is set in. The movie can be a bit dark at times, both in mood and in lighting, but it works. It seems to the be the thing right now to have a "secret" society in movies/books and Sherlock Holmes has that element to it as well.

The entire cast was excellent, including Rachel McAdams as the mysterious Irene Adler. Although I will admit that every time Rachel is in a movie I can't help but think that Jennifer Garner could have done the part as well. Just my little quirk.

Of course you know that there is going to be a sequel, not that I mind. I think Guy Ritchie did an excellent job with this new, updated Sherlock Holmes. I'm hoping that he sticks around to direct the sequel as well. Warner Bros could have another great movie series on its hands, if they don't screw it up.

I will admit to never reading the books and short stories of Sherlock Holmes but I have put both volumes on my amazon.com wish list for future purchase. I do remember watching the older movies with my dad though.

If you are looking for an entertaining movie with a bit of everything for everyone, I highly recommend Sherlock Holmes. I'd actually pay full prices to see it again.

Final Take: 4.75/5

1 comment:

tweezle said...

Thanks for posting your review! We are planning on seeing it this weekend, and I'm really looking forward to it. Having Robert Downey Jr. as Holmes doesn't hurt, either :)