Monday, November 2, 2009

Julie's Review: Fade Away


Summary: Wisecracking sports agent Myron Bolitar returns with style in his third mystery (after Deal Breaker and Dropshot). This time, Myron is given a chance to return to professional basketball after being sidelined by a heartbreaking injury 10 years ago. No, the owner of the New Jersey Dragons doesn't want Myron to play. He wants him to use his skills as a onetime FBI undercover agent ("the worst kept secret in the continental United States") to find a missing player and former rival. The hunt for the absent player turns up an ugly web of complications that include a dead body, blackmail, a nasty custody suit, out-of-control gambling and thugs intent on revenge. Myron finds himself dragged in deeper than expected as the case stirs unresolved issues from his own past. With the help of his lethally loyal pal Win, he untangles the mess with bravado and not a little personal pain. Coben writes a fast-moving narrative in a style witty enough to keep pace without straining too hard. ~amazon.com

Review: I'll start by saying this: in the 90s I didn't miss a Chicago Bulls game, on tv of course because who could afford the tickets in Jordan's heyday. That being said, all the basketball references in Fade Away when they were off the court became tiring. After saying all of that, I did enjoy the book but I didn't care about the characters besides Myron, Win and Esperanza. I have only read 1 other Myron Bolitar book, Promise Me and that was far superior to this one. I like going back and reading books about characters I've been introduced to but this one fell short.

As I said I didn't really care about the characters but I did like the last 5 pages. It made someone you thought was innocent become not so innocent. It was definitely a twist I didn't see coming. Overall the plot was a bit weak but manageable. It wasn't like I couldn't put the book down and do other things. Towards the end I just wanted the story wrapped up and the book over.

I'm sure that in my pile of books to read I have another one of Harlan Coben's books and I will continue to read him. I think he's a gifted writer and I enjoy his style. Fade Away just seemed dated to me and I think that's what happens when pop culture references are entwined with the story. I think the publisher should have updated some of them before re-releasing the book.

Final Take: 3.25/5

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've read all the Myron books. I read them in order and that was the best way, since they only got better each time. I do like that there are shades of gray, nobody is perfect.

Julie said...

Thanks Stacy! That's good to know but I'll probably just stick with the new stuff.