Monday, August 17, 2009

Was I Rude?

I was just in a local Barnes and Noble, where I noticed another patron browsing and looking at a book that I gave a 2.5 rating to and chimed in with "Ooh, don't buy that. It wasn't very good." I then said sorry for intruding realizing I was probably being rude and why would a stranger want my opinion.

She did ask me what I've read that I loved. I recommended She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb (it was on the sale table) and she walked out with it. God, I hope she likes it.

Has this happened to anyone? Was I rude? Should I just keep my trap shut next time?

6 comments:

Serena said...

I usually don't offer my opinion unless the buyer catches me staring at them. lol I've offered a rave opinion without being solicited though.

I don't think its rude; I'm just more introverted in that respect.

Rita said...

Not rude at all. I would have done something like that.

I've read She's Come Undone, I loved it!

Anonymous said...

I've done that - stood at the sale table and pointed out a good book to somebody who was browsing for something. The only catch is that you need to either walk away or not pay attention to them while they look at your choice because they could feel embarrased putting the book back down while you are standing there and/or afraid they would offend you if they chose not to take it.

Julie said...

I did walk away. I just saw her go to the register with She's Come Undone. :)

Stephanie said...

Actually, I've done it many times (especially if they are hold a book I adored - I love to spread the book love)!

Anita said...

I'm always giving and getting recommendations to and from strangers. I don't know if it's rude or not! :) And how could she not like COME UNDONE? YOu did the woman a favor.