Saturday, February 28, 2009

Movie Review: He's Just Not That Into You

Photobucket Summary: It’s a classic single-woman scenario: you really like this guy, but he’s giving mixed messages. You make excuses, decide he’s confused, afraid of commitment. Behrendt, a former executive story editor for Sex and the City—and a formerly single (now happily married) guy who knows all the excuses—provides a simple answer: he’s just not that into you. Stop kidding yourself, let go and look for someone else who will be. After all, as Behrendt sensibly puts it, "if a (sane) guy really likes you, there ain’t nothing that’s going to get in his way." If you’re not convinced yet, by all means read this smart, funny and surprisingly upbeat little book, full of q’s and a’s covering every excuse woman has ever made to avoid admitting to herself that a man just wasn’t that smitten with her. ~amazon.com

Movie Review: Let me start by saying that I have never read the book He's Just Not That Into You: The No-Excuses Truth to Understanding Guys
because I was definitely not in the demographic when it came out, I was already married and being single was the furthest thing from my mind. I've had friends who've read it and said it was the truth and even though it hurt, it was still funny. Today was a girls movie day with some friends and this was our pick. I was in the mood for a light-hearted funny girlie movie, well we got that and some heavy with it.

Frankly, I saw it for it's great ensemble (minus Scarlet Johanssen --can't STAND her) and I wasn't disappointed. This movie was fun, witty, serious and damn truthful. Let's all be honest we've probably all been Gigi at one point or another in some kind of relationship. Sure maybe we weren't as needy as her but we saw shades of ourselves in her and well wasn't that the point of the movie? No woman really wants to admit the desperate things they've done to hook a guy right?

My favorite story was about Neil and Beth (Ben Affleck and Jennifer Aniston). It was sweet and sour all in one. Their relationship was about letting go and just accepting happiness for what it was...happiness. See Beth wants to get married, after all they've been together 7 years, isn't is time and well Neil he doesn't believe in marriage. So you can only guess where that goes. Can I say that it's been a while since I've seen Ben in anything and it was nice to see him on screen again. He and Jennifer Aniston have a great chemistry together, like they've know each other for years, which was good since that was key to their storyline.

Let me just say something here about the very delicious Bradley Cooper, I love him. I've loved him since ALIAS. OK but in this movie I HATED him. HATED him. Even his gorgeous blue eyes and his dreamy smile couldn't stop me from wanting to shake him in the movie. He's a total ass!! I will say he played his part well though since I'm used to him being the nice guy (aka Will on ALIAS). Many of you probably know him from Wedding Crashers - Unrated (Widescreen New Line Platinum Series)
though.

The movie is really about how women over think relationships. And come on admit it, we all do. Heck I've been married for 8 years and still over analyze things my husband says or does. So if you are looking for a good chick flick, this is a recommendation but just expect to walk out thinking about things as well.

Movie Final Take: 4/5

P.S. - One of the previews we saw was for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince!! I got goosebumps watching it. YAY!!

3 comments:

Meg89 said...

I saw this with my roommate and we both loved it! Gigi is such a creeper, but still so earnest that you've got to love her!

Jenn said...

This is on my to be watched list.

Jenn said...

Okay, saw it this weekend. I thought it was lite version Love Actually meets When Harry Met Sally... it lacked humor, replacing it with embarassment. It was a good chick flick, but not the kind that can capture my husband's attention. All in all, I don't think I have to own it, but I'll watch it if its on...