Monday, December 29, 2008

Jenn's Favorites (and Not-So-Favorites) of 2008


I usually read somewhere between 50 to 60 books a year, and this year I've read about half of that (not counting books like Karen Katz's Where Is Baby's Belly Button? which I read at least ten times a day)... something about having a one year old, no hour long lunch breaks, a new online subscription to DVD rentals, and too much on my DVR.

ANYWAY, considering all that, I don't really feel it's too fair to my books to rank a top and bottom ten... that just leaves seven or eight feeling really lonely in the middle there.

So here are some of my favorites of this year:
  • Dirty Secrets Club ~ this isn't even the best of Meg Gardiner, but it reminded me of why I love her so much. I am making it a goal next year to get back to her Evan Delany novels (I had to give her up when I was pregnant, as I had concentration issues). I can't recommend this author enough! Review: The Dirty Secrets Club
  • Breaking Dawn ~ the conclusion of the Twilight Saga. I was very impressed with Stephenie Meyer's conclusion for this series. This series isn't perfect, but it is fascinating and worth the hype. I really felt the series started and ended strong. Hopefully one day soon I'll get to see the movie and can post a book-to-movie review too! Review: Breaking Dawn
  • Devil Bones ~ the latest installment of Kathy Reichs's series about forensic anthropologist, Dr. Temperance Brennan. I love Reichs and was slightly disappointed with the book prior to this in the series, Bones to Ashes. This was a return to all the things I love about Reichs. Such great writing! Review: Devil Bones
  • Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before ~ David Yoo's clever Young Adult book about teenage love and obsession. This was a delightful find and I thank the publisher for sending it my way! Review: Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before
  • Fault Line ~ Barry Eisler's new novel that breaks away from his John Rain series. This was a LibraryThing Early Reviewers book (available March 10, 2009) and I'm always glad to discover a new favorite author. I'll be going back and reading his original series. Review: Fault Line

While I can't say that I've never read a book I didn't like, there are very few I truly dislike. That said, here are some of my least favorites this year:

  • Plum Lucky ~ Why do I bother with your in-between-the-number-books, Janet Evanovich? Why? Why?

  • The Secret Scroll ~ This was a debut novel for Ronald Cutler, and while I would be interested in trying another of his novels, let this one fall to the bottom of your 'To Be Read' pile.

  • A Great and Terrible Beauty ~ While I still intend to forge ahead with this series, this one fell short of the mark. Next year, I'll see what else Libba Bray has in store for me.

  • Before You Know Kindness ~ "For the kind of people who like that sort of thing, this is just the sort of thing those people will like," a politically correct response attributed to Lincoln when an author asked Lincoln about his book, I think it applies for me here too. Chris Bohjalian is just not the author for me.

  • Dedication ~ From the writing team that brought us The Nanny Diaries, which I know was a huge success, I was expecting more from this. But I'd be willing to give the authors another shot.

New Year's Resolution: Make more time to read!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too thought A Great and Terrible Beauty didn't live up to all the hype - I really wanted to enjoy it but just ended up bored.

Serena said...

I haven't read Plum Lucky, but the Visions of Sugar Plums Audio we are listening to is pretty funny.

Jenn said...

I own the rest of the Libba Bray series so I will forge ahead in hopes they get better.


As for Evanovich's "In-Between-ers" listening to them might be the way to go. I imagine they might be quite funny on tape.

I buy them to complete my Plum collection, but really, they're more like sorbet between courses. (Like if I need to switch from reading YA to Adult Crime...) They're good for a lark, but really, I should stop wasting money on them.

Julie said...

I read A Great and Terrible Beauty a few years ago and still have not made it to Rebel Angels....guess that says something eh?

Anonymous said...

I'm confused. Here you say that Chris B is not the author for you, but you raved about him in your earlier post. Is it just this particular book you didn't like?

Jenn said...

Nope, it's Julie that likes him (and Lisa too). I'm the 'odd lady out' of the three of us, so to speak.

Julie and I have been getting that a lot lately. It must be a "J" thing. :)