Monday, April 21, 2008

Book to Movie: The Kite Runner

The Kite Runner is one of my all time favorite books. I found the book to be magical, moving and touching. I cried and laughed throughout the book. It's definitely a book that I think everyone should read. My sister listened to the book on cd that was read by the author and also thought the same as I did.

So needless to say I was very much looking forward to the movie when it was released. I expected even more when I heard that Marc Forster the director of Finding Neverland (Widescreen Edition) was attached to the movie. But alas, it didn't live up to the hype or the book. My sister and I made it 1/2 way through the movie before we decided to turn it off before it ruined the book. It wasn't the subtitles because I've watched plenty of great movies that way and it wasn't the use of Afghani actors because I thought that was brilliant and true to the story. It was the fact that I don't think a movie can do justice to a book that truly moved me. The book was a one of a kind experience for me (A Thousand Splendid Suns was very close) and the movie couldn't capture that.

If you've read the book don't bother seeing the movie and if you haven't either read the book or seen the movie, pass on the movie and run out and read the book...now.

Book to Movie Final Take: 0/5

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read and loved the book, but haven't haven't watched the movie. I might still watch it though, just out of curiosity.

LisaMM said...

This is one of my favorite books ever. You're right, the movie didn't do it justice. However, I didn't feel it was a BAD movie. I think it got the details of the story right (in other words, it didn't mangle them, the way some books to movies get mangled). It just didn't have the same kind of heart and soul that the book had.

Julie said...

You are right Lisa, it got the story right just not the heart.